Saturday, April 18, 2009

My First Tutorial

So, my quilt lost out big time on my blog poll. I obviously needed to do something new and I had this idea for a quick and cheap wall decor. I bought six flat canvas boards at Micheal's (beside the stretched canvases). They were $10.99 for a pack of three. I also bought a bottle of matte Mod Podge. The flat canvases work better for Mod Podge, the guy at the store told me and he turned out to be right! I also bought a little over a yard of two complementary decorator fabrics, which were on sale for 50% off! That equaled about $30. So, this entire project cost around $60, a little high for a frequent project, but for the long term and to cover such a big area, I thought it was pretty reasonable. Scrapbook paper would be even cheaper, but I like the look of fabric, plus I had enough fabric left over to make several pillows to pull the entire look together!
The Supplies

1st-Mod Podge the board and sooth the fabric on top
2nd-Hot glue the back down

3rd-Trim the corners and glue flat
4th-Mod Podge the top (I did two coats)

5th-Let dry

Next I'll show you how I hung them "floating" on the wall, plus the final look! But, right now I'm going on a hot date with my honey!!

4 comments:

The White Family said...

Can't wait to see the final product! What a good idea!

The Real Neal Deal said...

Jessica, YOU left me hanging....guess you had a good excuse...love ya jill

Heather said...

So impressive. I saw them up when I picked up dinner group at your house--they look awesome!

Miralyn said...

They look great! I can say that because I saw them in person. How lucky am I :)